Menu

Artisan Fair

May 21, 2014 - Culture, Things to Do

With my Tia Eliana and Tio Gerardo at the Artisans.

Walking the Costanera on Sunday evening is busy with people everywhere!

Every Sunday night after having a delicious BBQ  with family and resting awhile, we go on a walk along the Costanera (the river down our street). And there we find these mini shops set up by people that have old, new, or hand-made toys or clothes that sell anything you can imagine. They call it The Artisan’s Fair!   

Knives and daggers for sale!

Knives and daggers for sale!

They sell things like dolls, dresses, treats, toys, games, and many different things like that.But they don’t sell electronics and REALLY expensive stuff. And this isn’t run by people who get paid for what they do by a boss, it’s just people who go on a Sunday night or holidays and set up a little place for them to sell what they want to sell.

Selling silver jewelry and stuff!

Selling silver jewelry and stuff!

Tulia admiring and dragon lantern.

Tulia admiring and dragon lantern.

We go there nearly every Sunday night (which is the only time it happens per week) and some times me and my sister might get something, but my dad usually gets  special  little straw-like things – bombilla – that are used to drink mate (an Argentinian tea-like drink). But the things we get are like a little cute sweater for my sister Tulia or a souvenir like an old but fun brain teaser game for me (which I LOVE)!  My mom prefers looking at the purses and jewelry, and she drools over an antique typewriter every week.  

The Costanera walk in the evening.

As you can see in these photos, we also went to this kind of fair on the famous San Telmo Street in Buenos Aires when our friend Gina Grace visited.  This is where I bought my cool pants!

Dad shopping

Dad shopping

Overall, I think that The Artisan Fair is a nice cultural activity that brings the community together.  Plus I like walking outside while seeing unique things.

My great family shopping the San Telmo Artisans!

GINA shopping San Telmo!

GINA shopping San Telmo!